If a person is suffering from lactose intolerance, a lactose-free diet is advised to her/him. Lactose is a sugar present in milk and milk products. Sometimes, it is difficult for people to digest this sugar and hence they are unable to consume milk and milk products.
One has to follow a strict, no milk diet, if s/he is suffering from milk allergies, food allergies or lactose intolerance. These conditions can cause gastric disturbances, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and other undesirable effects.
One needs to eliminate all milk products from your diet in order to follow a lactose free diet.
One should discuss with her/his physician about the additional required milk substitute supplements.
Food products to be avoided:
- cottage cheese
- packaged foods that contain milk
Consume a lactose-free diet by considering following precautions
- Find healthy alternatives to milk and milk products.
- Go for alternative milk like soy milk, coconut milk, rice milk etc.
- Replace regular butter, cheese with tofu or soy cheese.
- Choose desserts that are not prepared in milk, like jellies, honey, fruit bars, syrups, and juices.
- Include all fruits, vegetables, beans, pulses, fish, poultry and eggs, without adding milk, butter or other variants while cooking.
- Use vegetable cooking oil, olive oil, regular spices and herbs for flavor.
- When required, cook food or prepare milkshakes and breakfast cereals in alternative milk.
Written By: Dr. Snehal
Edited By: S. Soni