What Are Hormones of Happiness and How To Increase Them?
All of our emotions and feelings are a result of chemical reactions taking place in our body. Because of some chemical reactions in our hormones, positive and negative feelings are experienced by humans.
A doctor prescribes Endorphins to reduce the pain in the body. Most of us know that when we exercise, it releases endorphins, but we don’t know the actual reason behind it. The fact behind the release of endorphins is, it helps us in going on with our vigorous exercise even after our body cells are depleted with the oxygen stores.
Ways To Increase Endorphins
- Exercise daily.
- Eat your favorite food.
- Listen to your favorite music.
- Get a spa that will relax your muscles.
- Spike your drink with a small amount of alcohol.
Serotonin is a key hormone for happiness. It regulates mood, thwarts irritation, makes one happy and social and above all prevent depression.
Ways To Increase Serotonin
- Sun-bathing – As exposure produces Vitamin D, which then triggers the production of Serotonin.
- Thinking about happy times also produces serotonin.
- Consume foods like – corn, milk, and carbohydrates.
- Perform low-intensity exercises.
A chemical called Dopamine is released, while we set our personal goals. Thus, keeping us mentally alert and focused, Dopamine motivates towards working hard in order to achieve the satisfaction of doing something great or even ordinary.
Ways To Increase Dopamine
- Set goals for personal and professional life.
- Eat protein-rich foods.
- Set exercise goals.
The love hormone, Oxytocin is mainly released during hugging, childbirth and sexual intercourse. As a result, Oxytocin increases love and care for a person.
Ways To Increase Oxytocin
- Get a massage
- Make physical contact with the person you love – like – hugging your parents, throwing an arm around a friend or cuddling up with your lover/partner.
Hence, all these hormones are effective in relieving stress, but for a limited period of time. In order to maintain their levels and remain happy and satisfied, a person has to perform the activities mentioned above regularly. Above all, work your ways out and produce hormones of happiness for a satisfied and contented life ahead.
Written by: Dr. H. Kaur
Edited by: S. Ray