Playing the role of a storehouse of essential nutrients and minerals, bones are linked directly to our overall health. Since, bones play an important role in protecting various organs, providing frame to the body and preventing bone disease, maintaining their good health becomes imperative. People with weak bones can have a hunched look, no matter what their age may be.
So, Keep Your Bones Up And Right By Following These Simple Bone Health Tips:
- Know your bone health – There are certain tests like – FRAX (Fracture Risk Assessment Tool) and Bone Density Test that will help you in assessing your bone health.
- Add sunshine to your life – Sunlight being a good source of Vitamin D must become an integral part of our life.
- Eat foods rich in calcium – Add food items like dairy products, tofu, fish, cereals and broccoli to your daily diet.
- Add nuts to your diet – Eat nuts like almonds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds for achieving healthy bones.
- Exercising is important – Include simple exercises like brisk walking, cycling and swimming for improved mobility.
- Protein is critical too – Include high protein food in your diet like salmon, eggs, beans, soy and legumes.
- Perform abdominal exercises – Focus on exercises that help in strengthening of your core.
- Quit smoking – Osteoporosis is one among the many side-effects of smoking, so quit it right away.
- Make your meal colorful by involving a whole lot of fruits and vegetables.
- Shrink your drinking glass – Intake of more than 1-2 units of alcohol can lead to loss of bone density.
- Avoid aerated beverages and switch to natural unsweetened drinks.
- Achieve a healthy weight by calculating and maintaining your ideal BMI.
For those with a history of bone related health issues, which might lead to mild to severe bone loss, consult to a specialist immediately. Be alert with your bone health and enjoy life to the most.
Written By: Dr. Harman
Edited By: C. Soni