What is Aromatherapy ?
Aromatherapy is an alternative medical therapy that makes use of natural oils extracted from plant materials. It heals a person psychologically as well as physically. The inhalation of aroma from these ‘essential oils’ helps stimulate brain function. ‘Essential oils’ mean natural oils extracted from plant materials through the process of distillation having characteristic odor of the substance it is extracted from.
Many individuals may think that this practice of using oils and other natural products is unscientific and does not cure the disease and its usage is a wishful thinking yet the benefits of this unscientific treatment cannot be ignored, some of which are listed below:-
- Provide relaxation and stress-free condition: Today many people suffer from a common problem i.e. stress because of the hectic schedule, long working hours and improper eating habits. People don’t get time to relax and de-stress. The aromatherapy helps individuals to get rid of stress and provides relaxation to the mind and body. The oils used in these therapies are great inducers of sleep. Good sleep is a solution to many health problems.
- Healing capabilities-: Aromatherapy can heal a wide range of problems that might arise in our day to day life like-: cuts, burns, insect bites, rashes, dryness, redness of the skin and issues related to asthma, arthritis and certain allergies as well.
- Helps in stimulating the immune system-: Aromatherapy helps to boost the immune system that in turn helps the body to stand against many bacterial, viral and fungal infections.
- Relief from cramps-: One of the most effective benefits of aromatherapy is for expectant mothers; the oils used in aromatherapy normalize childbirth giving relief during the labor. Also, these have therapeutic effects on menstrual cramps, headaches and other minor to major aches.
- Provide relief from cold and also aid in blood circulation that helps to normalize the blood pressure of the body thereby protecting you from many of the heart problems.
- Aromatherapy targets your body and gives a soothing effect which aims at improving a person’s health or mood. But one thing that must be kept in mind before using any of the aromatherapy product is their authenticity. It is very important to use original and branded products severe harm to the person.
The authentic products can be applied using one of the three methods that are:
- Direct inhaling the oil
- By spraying the product in the room known as aerial diffusion
- Offering massage using oils and other products
Before using any of the aromatherapy products it is recommended to consult a qualified pharmacist or doctor so as to avail the best results.
Written by H. Kaur
Edited by A. Kumar